In this period of social distancing, it’s easy to allow yourself to feel anxious and like everything is changing so suddenly. And you’re right, everything is changing. We can’t see our friends and family as often; we can’t leave the house as often and many of us won’t be seeing our college campuses until August.
But this doesn’t have to be a bad thing. An extended stay at home doesn’t have to be depressing, instead it can be a time for a lot of self-growth and development. Here are some tips for you to make the most of your time at home.
- GET OUT OF BED – This is probably the most important tip in this whole list; if you spend the whole day in bed it’s going to be very hard to be productive or even motivate yourself to be productive. Don’t get me wrong there are definitely some days that are just meant to be spent in bed, however with homework and other deadlines still very much pressing don’t allow it to become a regular thing.
- Spend some quality time alone and with God – This period of social distancing has provided us with a unique opportunity to spend time getting to know God and ourselves better. Take some time to spend in devotion with God and cling to Him in these uncertain times we are living in.
- Set one achievable goal to accomplish each day – It can be as little as cleaning your room or as big as finishing an exam or internship application but setting goals helps your days be more productive. It also makes you feel less guilty for relaxing because you know that you have accomplished your goal(s) for the day!
- Keep track of your exams and assignments just like you regularly would – Just because we need to stay home doesn’t mean we don’t still have responsibilities in school, which is why its more important than ever to stay on top of your assignments. If you have been using a planner or something similar to keep track of your work, continue doing that and if you don’t have one, now might be the time to invest in one.
- Netflix and chill, literally – This is the best time to catch up on old shows you never had time to watch because of school or work and start some new ones. Between Netflix, Hulu, Amazon Prime Video and more, there is an endless supply available!
- Try out new restaurants or new recipes – Even though most restaurants have closed their doors, many of them still offer delivery through various apps. Many of them like Uber Eats and Postmates are even offering free delivery fees so this is the perfect time to try out some new restaurants that you haven’t had a chance to eat at. Or want to save some money? Try out some new recipes at home instead!
- Stay connected to your loved ones – It’s hard not being able to see friends and family as often as you may have been able to so make sure you’re still checking on those people and reminding them that you still love them and are there for them.
- Get some fresh air – just because we’re practicing social distancing doesn’t mean that you can’t go outside at all. Going out to get some fresh air, feel the sun on your skin or to take a walk if perfectly fine as long as you’re staying safe and still practicing social distancing.